Professor Dr. Md. Aminul Haque Bhuyan
Professor Dr. Md. Aminul Haque Bhuyan is a Bangladeshi academic, currently Vice-Chancellor (Acting) of Z.H. Sikder University of Science & Technology, Shariatpur, Bangladesh. Prior to this position, he served in different academic, administrative and research activities at the University of Dhaka, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST) and Noakhali Science and Technology University, Noakhali.
Early life and Education
He was born on 19 November 1952 in Dhorgoan village in Nandail upazila in Mymensingh district; His parents were Jonab Md. Mofazzal Hossain Bhuyan and Jonab Hazera Khatun. He has four daughters and one son. He lives in Dhaka/Shariatpur with one daughter and one son. His three elder daughters live in U.S.A . He passed SSC in 1967 from Bajitpur Multi-Lateral High School, (Science Group) and HSC in 1969 from Dacca College (Science Group). He obtained B.Sc (Hons) in Biochemistry, 1972 and M.Sc in Biochemistry, 1973 from University of Dhaka. He later obtained Diploma in Applied Nutrition and Dietetics from University of Dhaka in 1976. He obtained Master of Community Nutrition degree from the University of Queensland, Australia in 1986 and also obtained PhD in Nutrition from Dhaka University in 2000.
Dr.Md. Aminul Haque Bhuyan joined the Institute of Nutrition and Food Science (INFS), in 1977 and occupied various positions in the Institute of Nutrition and Food Science (INFS) , University of Dhaka . He become Professor in 1998. He was the Director of Institute of Nutrition and Food Science (INFS) from October 2011 to July 2013 prior to become Vice Chancellor, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST), Sylhet from 28 July 2013 to 27 July 2017 (4 years). Currently he is the Vice Chancellor (Acting), Z.H. Sikder University of Science and Technology, Bhedergonj, Shariatpur (From 27-08-2019 till todate).
Experience in research
Principal Investigator: Impact of nutrition education sessions on the improvement of nutritional status among slum dwellers funded by Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt, of the People's Republic of Bangladesh, 2000.
Co-Principal Investigator: Food misconception and maternal malnutrition funded by Bangladesh Medical Research Council, 2001-2002
Co-Principal Investigator: Epidemiology of childhood obesity in Dhaka city funded by Bangladesh Medical Research Council, 2001-2002
Co-Principal Investigator: Health and Nutrition Baseline Survey of 44 rural Thanas in Bangladesh, Bangladesh Integrated Nutrition Project, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of the people's Republic of Bangladesh.
The survey was conducted to document the baseline status of relevant health and nutrition indicators which included 34 BINP project and 10 non project Thanas covering 28,223 households in 640 village in 1997 (report published, January, 1998).
Co-Principal Investigator: Bangladesh National Nutrition Survey, 1994- 96 in collaboration with Bangladesh National Nutrition Council, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare with the assistance of World Bank. The survey encompassed socio-economic, anthropometric, dietary and clinical aspects of the statistically valid sampled households of whole Bangladesh
Member of Consultancy Group as a Consultant for evaluation of impact of different media approaches in the dissemination of nutritional information of
- Worldview International Foundation; Nutrition Blindness Prevention Program
- (WIF-NBPP) evaluation at Rangpur District of Bangladesh, 1989 -WIF-NBPP evaluation at Dinajpur District of Bangladesh, 1990.
- WIF-NBPP evaluation at Lalmonirhat District of Bangladesh, 1992.
- ICMH Project on Improvement of wearing Practices, 2000-2001.
- UNICEF, Bangladesh funded WIF-IHCC Project on health and nutrition status of young working children, 2002.
Principal Investigator: University Grants Commission Project, 2003 on impact of nutrition education among hospitalized children of under-5 years.
Consultant: Baseline survey of Integrated Nutrition Project (CMP) Plan Bangladesh, 2004 - 2005.
Co-Investigator: Mid-term review of the Integrated Nutrition Project (BMP) of Plan Bangladesh, February 2006
Team Leader: Performance evaluation of Bangladesh Breastfeeding Foundation (BBF) under National Nutrition Programme (NNP)
Membership in Professional bodies
: General Secretary
Bangladesh Dietetic Association
Bangladesh Society for Food and Nutrition
: Life member
Bangladesh Biochemical and Molecular Biology Society
: Life member
: Former Associate Editor
Journal of Asiatic Society of
Bangladesh Science, 2004 & 2005
Dhaka University Club, 2004-2005
Among around one hundred publications in different national and international journals , Some of the important Publications are cited below:
1) Haque, T; Bhuyan, M.A.H; Ahmad, K. 'Dark green leafy vegetables Part-1; Bangladesh journal of Biological Science, Vol5, No. 1,1976, pp. 31-34.
2) Chowdhury, M.M.H; Bhuyan, M.A.H and Maiek, M.A. "Infant feeding practices in two selected rural areas of Bangladesh"; Dhaka Shishu (Children) Hospital Journal, Vol.31, No.2 December, 1987, pp.37-42.
3) Chowdhury, M.M.H; Bhuyan M.A.H; Hossain, K.M and Maiek, M.A “The beneficial effects of nutrition training of the rural mothers for the improvement of nutritional status (in Bangla), Pushti Patrika (Journal of INFS in Bangla), Vol. 1, No. 1, December, 1987, pp 9-15.
4) Bhuyan, M.A.H., Chowdhury M.M.H. and Maiek, M.A.; Dietary practices and food taboos among mothers during pregnancy and after delivery in two selected rural locations of Bangladesh; Bangladesh Journal of Nutrition, Vol. l,No. 2 June, 1988 pp. 105-110.
5) Bhuyan M.A.H Chowdhury, M.M.H and Maiek M.A., “The role of nutrition education programmes in the developing countries”, Dhaka Bisva Vidyalya Patrika (Bangla journal of Dhaka University) Vol. XXX, February, 1988, pp. 179-189.
6) Bhuyan, M.A.H.; Chowdhury, M.M.H; Chowdhury, K.M.M and Sukanta, S; "Declining trend of breast feeding in development countries", The Hygeia (Medical Journal) Vol. 4, No. 1,1990, pp. 46-50.
7) Bhuyan, M.A.H.; Asis, R.A. Kowsuwan, T. Teokul, W and Teinsripojamamp. "Study on the dietary assessment and food practices of preschool children as well as food beliefs among mothers in a rural community in Malaysia", Bangladesh Journal of Child Healthy of 14,1, March, 1990, pp 1-8.
8) Ahmed, F. Bhuyan, M.A.H. Shaheen, N. Barua, S. Mangetts B.M. and Jackson A.A. "Effect of Socio-demographic conditions on growth of urban school children of Bangladesh", European Journal of clinical Nutrition (1991), 45, 327-310.
9) Karim, R. Bhuyan, M.A.H and Sukanta S. "Effects of nutrition on school performance in a primary school in Dhaka, Bangladesh". The Indian Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics, (1991), 28, 171-176.
10) Chowdhury, K.M.M; Sukanta, S. Bhuyan, M.A.H. Ali S.M.K. Ishaque, A.M. and Hai, M.A. "Plasma LH and FSH Levels in Azospermia and in normal male and female human subjects" Bangladesh Medical Research Council Bulletin, Vol 19, No. 2, August 1993, pp. 58-62.
11) Ahmed F. barua, S. Mohiduzzaman, M.Shaheen, N. Bhuyan, M.A.H. Margetts, B.M and "Jackson, A.A; "Interactions between growth and nutrition status in school age children of urban Bangladesh"; American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 58, Oct, 1993, pp. 334-8.
12) Hussain, A. Kvale G. Ali, K. and Bhuyan A.H. "Determinants of night blindness in Bangladesh", International Journal of Epidemiology, Vol. 22, No, 6, December, 1993. pp 1119-1126.
13) Bhuyan M.A.H.; and Rahman S.M.M. "Study on the nutritional knowledge among freshly primary school passed children of rural urban and areas", Bangladesh Journal of Nutrition (BNNC), Vol. 7, No. 1, Jan-June, 1994, pp. 15-18.
14) Rahim A.T.M.A. and Bhuyan, M.AH. "Student’s perception towards the fattening and dieting food", Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bangladesh Science, Vol. 21, No. 2, December, 1995, pp. 233-241.
15) Bhuyan M.A.H. Mahmud, M.A.A and Hossain, M.A. "Anthropometry and clinical findings on some children in a rehabilitation centre", Mymensingh Medical Journal, Vol. 7, No. 1 January, 1998, pp. 14-18.
16) Bhuyan M.A.H. F. Parveen, Hossain M.A. Mahmud M.A.A. and Rashid M. Radio and television programmes on health and nutrition: the nutritional status of the recepient mothers and their children". Journal of Preventive and Social Medicine, Vol. 17, No. 2, December, 1998, pp. 71-78.
17) Hossain A. Bhuyan M.A.H. Molla Mannan M.A. Al-Mahmud M.A. and Rahman S.M.M. "Study on food behaviour and smoking in relation to oral cancer among selected patients, South Asian Journal of Nutrition, Vol. 1, No. 1 & 2, Jan-Dec. 1999. pp. 45-50.
18) Bhuyan MAH. Al-Mahmud MA, Rahman SMM Rahman MK and Shaheen N. "Nutrition education exposure and nutritional status of selected household members hi three agro-ecological locations of Bangladesh" Bangladesh Journal of Nutrition, Vol. 14. December 2001, pp. 31 -40.
19) Rahim, ATMA, Aziz F, Shaheen, N and Bhuyan, MAH; "Perception and preference of and traditional snack food by selected urban population." Bangladesh Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, Volume 17, No.2, 2001, pp.58-62.
20) Bhuyan MAH, Shaheen N., Akhtaruzzaman M., Nahar S., Rahman S M M., Wahed A., Rahman M. and Afroza S; "Nutritional status and socio-biochcmical profile of under five slum children in Dhaka city'". Bangladesh Journal of Child Health, Vol 28, No. 1, April, 2004, pp 1-7.
Award / Honour received:
a) International guest — American Public Health Association Annual meeting, Chicago, Illinois, USA, November, 1999.
b) Honour by giving a crest — International Seminar on Nutritional aspects of Edible oil organised by Malaysian Palm Oil Promotion Council, Dhaka, Bangladesh, August, 1999.
c) Honour by giving a crest—Launching ceremony of National Nutrition project, under Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh, March, 2001.
d) International Participant—Regional meeting on monitoring and evaluation of RN- FNP in Beijing, China, April, 2001.
e) Resource person — Consultative workshop on Nutrition Mapping for Bangladesh, organized by BIRTAN, Ministry of Agriculture, July, 2001.
f) International participant — Palm Oil Nutrition Awareness Program (PONAP), Kualalumpur, Malaysia, August, 2001.
g) Resource person — Consultative meeting on Food Insecurity and Vulnerability Information and Mapping System (FIVIMS), organized by BIRTAN, Ministry of Agriculture, September, Dhaka, 2001.
h) Chief Moderator— Workshop on "Tri agency initiative on Food Security", organized by CCDB at ICMH, Matuail, May, 2002.
Resource person Regional Conference on Food Security in Delhi; April, 2003.
i) Chairman Oil seeds and their products Committee, Bangladesh Standards and
Testing Institution (BSTI) 2001-2003-2005.
j) Chairman—Soft drinks and beverages Committee, Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institution (BSTI), 2001-2003-2005.
k) Recipient of World Poetry Golden Award, 2004 for outstanding contribution in “Education and Research” in Bangladesh at Bishwa Shahitya Kendra, Dhaka on 6 March, 2005 organized by World Poetry Association, Bangladesh.